Top 5 Supplement Recommendations for Men Over 40
As a nutritionist and an Anti-Aging Health Practitioner, one of the most frequent questions I get is “What supplements should I take?” So here’s a list of my top 5 recommended daily supplements for men over 40.
These are the minimum recommendations to maintain optimum health in this day and age. There are others that are helpful in particular conditions, but those are best covered in one-to-one consultation to tailor supplements according to the person’s conditions. If you are taking prescription or non-prescription medications, I recommend consulting a health care provider that is knowledgeable about your condition and nutritional supplements.
My Top 5 Supplements for Men Over 40
1. Multi-vitamin/multi-mineral combination
2. Fish oil with 2000 mg DHA and 3000 mg EPA
3. Vitamin D3 in the cholecalciferol form, 4000 IU
4. Hydrochloric acid – Important: take at the beginning of your meal
5. Arginine, ornithine, and glutamine just before bedtime
1. A multi-vitamin/multi-mineral combination is necessary in this day and age due to the depletion of nutrients from poor farming practices.
2. Fish oil contains the foundational essential omega 3 fatty acids DHA and EPA.
3. Vitamin D3 should be between 40 ng/ml and 80 ng/ml. To attain this level in the blood, most people must supplement with an additional 4000 to 5000 IU of vitamin D3.
4. The cause of most cases of indigestion, heartburn and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is the decrease in hydrochloric acid (HCL) the stomach produces as we age. Not only are the symptoms uncomfortable, the result is harmful. With decreased HCL, B-vitamins and proteins are not digested and absorbed well, causing decreased energy, and muscle atrophy seen in aging. This also predisposes you to decreased immune system function, which in turn leads to all sorts of problems in the elderly, including increased susceptibility to upper respiratory infections, and predisposition to cancer.
5.The three amino acids, arginine, ornithine and glutamine, taken in therapeutic dosages just before bedtime, help increase the output of our own body’s growth hormone at night during sleep. As we age, our pituitary gland releases less growth hormone. Growth hormone released at night during sleep is essential for repair, regeneration and recovery of tissues and our entire system. Growth hormone output is also associated with testosterone levels. Not only will this help you to sleep better, but will improve your recovery from stress and injury, keep a man virile and help all your systems work at a younger biological age. Your chronological age is your actual age in years. Your biological age is a comparative age your body systems are functioning at. For instance if you are 60 years old, but your skin, muscle tone, energy, heart health, and brain function are comparative to a 40 year old, your biological age is closer to 40.
Dr Husbands is a Doctor of Chiropractic, a Certified Clinical Nutritionist, an Anti-Aging Healthcare Practitioner and a Functional Medicine Doctor. For more information, visit http://www.holistichealthbayarea.com.
Phone: (650) 394-7470
Copyright © 2009; Douglas Husbands, DC, CCN, ABAAHP. All rights reserved